It’s hard to find things my picky three year old will eat most days. Sometimes I feel like I spend so much time making new things for him to try and he still ends up wanting hot dogs or grilled cheese. Peas are one vegetable he will never turn down and if you ask my husband, bacon makes everything taste better, so I thought this recipe was worth a try. To my surprise he ate his entire plate. A rare occurrence around here for sure!
12 oz penne pasta
6 slices thick-cut bacon
12 oz frozen peas
12 oz plain Greek yogurt
6 oz Fontina cheese
6 oz Sharp cheddar cheese
1. Line baking sheet with foil and cook
bacon in a 400 degree oven for approximately 15 minutes. Set aside.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta until al dente.
3. While pasta is cooking, cut bacon into small pieces and shred cheeses.
4. Before straining pasta, add frozen peas to water and cook for an additional minute. Drain water but reserve 1 cup of pasta water.
5. Return pasta and peas to pot and add in 1/3 cup of pasta water, yogurt, a few splashes of Tabasco and half of the cheese. Stir until cheese is melted.
6. Stir in remaining cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Add in additional hot pasta water if needed to reach desired creaminess.
7. Add bacon and stir until thoroughly combined.
Hope your picky eaters enjoy it as much as mine!