My husband is a diehard carnivore and my kids are super picky eaters so making meals for this veggie loving mama that we can all enjoy can be tricky. Luckily cheese and pasta are things we all love so this lasagna hit the spot. My husband said he didn’t even miss the meat!! Using fresh pasta eliminated needing to cook the noodles and tasted better as well. If it was up to me I definitely would have added spinach…baby steps. 😃
One (12.5 oz) package fresh lasagna noodles
8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
3/4 cup chopped green bell peppers
3/4 cup chopped carrots
3/4 cup chopped broccoli
3/4 cup chopped zucchini
3/4 cup chopped onion
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 tablespoons olive oil
3 teaspoons chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried
2 (26 ounce) jars pasta sauce*
1 (15 oz) container part-skim ricotta cheese
4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. In a large saucepan, cook and stir all vegetables and garlic in oil.
2. Stir in pasta sauce and basil; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.
3. Mix together ricotta, 2 cups mozzarella cheese and eggs.
4. Spread one cup of pasta sauce in bottom of a greased 9×13 inch baking dish. Layer 1/2 each lasagna noodles, ricotta mixture, sauce, and Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers and top with remaining 2 cups mozzarella cheese.
5. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes.
*We all know that homemade pasta sauce is always best but most of us don’t have the time to make it on a regular basis. If you live in the Rochester area I want to share our favorite store bought sauce with you. There is a small Italian restaurant called Papa Joe’s out in Gates that makes the most delicious food and they sell their sauce at Wegmans as well! I always pick it up at our local Pittsford store but am sure it can be found at other locations as well. Give it a try!