This months issue of Parents Magazine couldn’t have come at a better time. Parents Magazine offered up 21 Twists on Mac ‘n’ Cheese. From a Greek Style to a Protein Boost; there’s a Mac ‘n’ Cheese for everyone!
We started with the basic Better-for-You Baked Mac recipe and added some chopped broccoli. The dish was super easy to make and was a hit with the little one!
Nonstick cooking spray
3 cups dried fusilli (or pasta of your choosing)
1/4 cup light butter with canola oil (we used regular salted stick butter)
3 Tbs. all-purpose flour
3/4 cup plus 2 Tbs. low fat milk
1/3lb. fontina cheese, 1.5 cups shredded ( we used 1/2 lb. of fontina cheese)
1/2 cup whole-wheat panko bread crumbs.
Medium head of broccoli
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat 2-qt square baking dish (or what ever shape you have in at least the 2 quart range) with nonstick spray; set aside.
2. Chop broccoli, place in medium sauce pan with a small amount of water and a pinch of salt. Simmer on medium heat, stirring occasionally until broccoli reaches desired tenderness.
3. Cook pasta as directed on package; drain and keep warm.
4. While pasta cooks, melt butter in medium saucepan. Add flour and salt; stir for 1 minute.
5. Add milk and stir until thick and bubbly.
6. Remove from heat; stir in cheese until melted.
7. Toss together pasta, broccoli and cheese sauce. Transfer to prepared dish and sprinkle evenly with bread crumbs. Bake 20 minutes or until heated through.
Thank you Parents Magazine for 21 twists to my daughters favorite meal!